Saturday, August 06, 2005

How we met

I have been searching for something to blog about for a while now, something which would require mental input and not just a quick copy and paste from a news article where someone has done all the hard work for me. My Darling Wife has posted a few lately and after Chickie made a comment about my profile, I decided it was time for my take on how Julie and I met......I hope Julie tells the same story one day as her grammar and writing style is much more entertaining than mine.

I stopped her and asked for her telephone number!

Ok, let me start at the beginning...................................

I was once a
Police Officer based at a picturesque part of Cornwall near Newquay.
I'd been there for about 7 years and had divorced my 1st wife and so was a single Dad. My friends in the area had decided that this was not good enough for a great catch like me....lol... and they endeavoured to be my matchmakers.

I was quite interested in this lady who lived down the street from me, I had spoken to her once whilst she passed my home and was dumbstruck the next time I was in the same room as her. It was a Summer Fete and I was in the bar, keeping my mate, the bartender, company, when in walked Julie, her friend and baby. I did all I could to introduce myself but alas, they didn't even need help carrying a tray full of drinks.

My matchmakers had told me about another single parent who lived on our estate and they would organise BBQ's, parties and such to get us in the same vicinity, but this woman always declined or just never answered her phone. When I found out finally who it was, I was amazed to see she was the one and same girl I had seen before.

So, I decided to pluck up the courage and talk to her.....When this would happen, who knew as the English gentleman doesn't go round knocking on ladies doors and asking for dates, especially ladies who don't know us from Adam.


Then one cold day in September, I was stood at the control of entry post, doing my job, when who should be speeding towards me.......The lady in the silver toyota. I stopped her; the look on her face was none too welcoming as I told her roll down her window and hand me her ID.
I then proceeded to tell her who I was hoping for a form of recognition, nothing! Told her about my matchmakers and their attempts to get us together, nothing!


Now I was feeling extremely foolish and downright embarrassed, wishing the ground would just swallow me up, when she says that she is late for work, and in that moment she offers me her telephone number, obviously in an attempt to get to work and probably the wrong one anyway, but I took it.

It was a Friday, I was working a 12 hour shift and would get off work at 6pm, Julie finished hours ago, so at 5pm I called and to my amazement she answered and we talked alittle on HM time and expense; I told her how my Friday nights usually consisted of going to the local pub/club to work on my social skills, and would she be interested in meeting me there tonight.
Of course she said NO and we never ever met......NO, wait, that's not right.

I got up there early and was sat in the bar next door talking to my mate and had a great view of the walkway and door to the club. I thought I would stay in there until Julie walked past and then go in, buy her a drink, ask her to dance and have a great evening. Yeah right. Somehow or another I missed her, and at 11.30pm was getting ready to go home, when who should walk out of the club....Yes Julie and her entourage....shit.......There went my chance.....I said hello and she smiled back, ok, not too bad, then she called me over and I then tried to explain what I had been doing and why I hadn't bothered to go in earlier.......Anyway, she forgave me and I was allowed to call her and invited her to my home the very next day....Then she went away for a week and our first real date was The Navy Ball on October 13th, 2000.

The rest as they say is History!

2 comments:

Chickie said...

Thanks for telling your story! I love hearing how people met.

Jen said...

That's actually kind of scary, what with the stalking and all... ;-)